On behalf of SME and the New York Section of SME – and our host today, Shearman & Sterling LLP – we welcome our guest speakers and guests, especially our esteemed guest Delegation from the People’s Republic of China’s Ministry of Land and Resources’ Mineral Resources and Reserves Evaluation Center:
- Yang Qiang: Researcher, Mineral Reserves Evaluation Expert, Deputy Director of the Mineral Resources
and Reserves Evaluation Center of the Ministry of Land and Resources. He was previously the Engineer of
Shenyang Coal Mine Design Institute, the director of the Institute of Multipurpose Utilization of Mineral
Resources and the deputy director of the Chinese Academy of Geological Sciences.
- Ming Yuqin: Engineer, Researcher, Division Chief of the Mineral Resources and Reserves Evaluation Center
of the Ministry of Land and Resources. She has been working in geological and mineral administration for
decades and has also worked within the geological team for 15 years.
- Wan Hui: Researcher, Deputy Division Chief of the Mineral Resources and Reserves Evaluation Center of
the Ministry of Land and Resources. She has been working in geological and mineral administration for
Thank you for joining us. We hope you find interesting the discussion led by our group of esteemed colleagues who are speaking today about important issues and trends relevant to existing Mineral Resource Reporting Standards and Codes and raising capital in the mining industry today. Please join in the discussion.
The purpose of today’s meeting, one part of the Delegation’s visit to the United States, is to discuss the relationship between the National Standard of the People’s Republic of China, classification for resources/reserves of solid fuel and mineral commodities (GB/T 17766 1999) and the Committee for Mineral Reserves International Reporting Standards (CRIRSCO) Template and CRIRSCO family of reporting codes and standards, as well as the possibility of China becoming a member of CRIRSCO.
For more about the mission of the Ministry of Land and Resources, we refer you to the attached Press Release dated October 15, 2007, that is excerpted from http://www.mlr.gov.cn/mlrenglish/about/mission/.
The organizers of today’s agenda and hosts of the meeting are the Society for Mining, Metallurgy & Exploration (SME) and the New York Section of SME (SME‐NY), represented by:
- David L. Kanagy, CAE, Executive Director of the Society for Mining, Metallurgy & Exploration (SME)
- Tim Alch, Chair of the New York Section of SME (2016), Co‐Chair of SME’s Current Trends in Mining Finance Conference 2013–2017 and Managing Partner of TAA Advisory LLC
- Alan Oshiki, Treasurer of the New York Section of SME (2016), Co‐Chair of SME’s Current Trends in Mining Finance Conference 2013–2017 and Executive Vice President of The Abernathy MacGregor Group
We also gratefully acknowledge the support and efforts provided by one of today’s guest speakers – Harry Parker, Consulting Mining Geologist & Geostatistician from Amec Foster Wheeler, Mining & Metals. Thank you.
We also thank Cynthia Urda Kassis, Partner of Shearman & Sterling for their continuing support of the New York Section of SME and SME’s activities generally and including hosting SME’s 2016 Current Trends in Mining Finance (CTMF) Conference and agreeing to host the 2017 CTMF Conference next year from April 30 to May 3, and allowing us the use of their meeting facilities for today’s meeting.
Read full presentation (PDF).