ESG Toolkit

View Only

Long Term Stability of a 13.7 × 30.5 m (45 × 100 ft) Undercut Span Beneath Cemented Rockfill at the Turquoise Ridge Mine

• 1.  Long Term Stability of a 13.7 × 30.5 m (45 × 100 ft) Undercut Span Beneath Cemented Rockfill at the Turquoise Ridge Mine

Posted 14 days ago
    Author: Seymour, Joseph, Martin, Lewis, Raffaldi, Michael, Warren, Sean and Sandbak, Louis 

Description: Cemented rockfill (CRF) is commonly used in conjunction with underhand cut-and-fill mining methods to provide ground support in weak rock mass conditions, particularly in the underground gold mines in Nevada (Seymour et al. 2013). The CRF supports the overlying material in the mine roof and also confines the surfaces of rock pillars and abutments, thereby enhancing their ground support capabilities. If the CRF is designed, batched, and placed properly, it typically provides a safe, stable back for the next undercut. However, as wider undercut spans are implemented, a better understanding is needed of the engineered properties of this material and also the design methods that are used to evaluate its performance (Pakalnis et al. 2005; Tesarik et al. 2007; Barnard and Sandbak 2017).  
    -Description quoted from link below.

Publisher: Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, 52, 4907–4923 (2019). 

------------------------------
    esgtoolkit@smenet.org
    ------------------------------