Northern California SME Section

View Only
  • 1.  Fall Meeting

Posted 09-10-2020 04:07 PM
    Labor Day is now behind us and in any normal year, we would be planning a fall meeting schedule.  BUT, this is no normal year.  When we can meet up in person again we have an offer for a field trip to the Kennedy Mine, which would be great.  In the meantime I would like to suggest that we organize a virtual meeting for the Section..  SME does not have a platform for us to work with so I am hoping that one of our members would be willing to host such a meeting.

If you have access to a platform that we can meet virtually on please let us know.  I will make arrangements to get a speaker.  The timing can be later September or October.  Our standard meeting was on a Thursday evening and I think that we should try to keep some constituency in our meeting schedule by continuing with that timing.  If you have any suggestions on changing this, please let us know.

As you should be aware, SME has had to go with an all virtual Annual Meeting.  We need to keep supporting SME and our local sections.   

Looking forward to hearing from a host for our meeting.

Bill Warfield

------------------------------
    William Warfield
    Roseville CA United States

• 2.  RE: Fall Meeting

Posted 09-11-2020 11:58 AM
    Bill,

Good for you trying to do something.

Zoom is the ‘gold standard’ perhaps really more like the ‘Budweiser standard’ for web meetings. I believe upto a certain limit of time it’s free, thereafter $.

I’ve used it but once as a participant and all on the meeting found it easy to get on. So user friendly, wait till the komputer experts upgrade it to then be difficult.

Respects to all on 9/11

• 3.  RE: Fall Meeting

Posted 09-11-2020 02:55 PM
    Thanks for your response.  I too, have been on Zoom meetings.  I understand that unless you have a license, the first 20 minutes are free and then they charge you.  I do know that government people are not allowed to use Zoom on their devices because of security issues.  There are other platforms out there for virtual meetings and we will find a member who can host a meeting for the Section.  We will just have to work through it.  I have received a message back from a member who may have a solution for us.  Keep in touch.

William Warfield
    Roseville CA United States