SME Outreach Resources

View Only
  • 1.  Request for new MEC reclamation stories

Posted 11-19-2015 04:38 PM

I am helping the MEC staff pare down the reclamation stories on the Minerals Education Coalition website.  Most of the existing stories are out of date.  I would like to have five or six excellent current stories and photos to post that show before and after photos that include final innovative residential, commercial, recreational, educational, conservation or agricultural reclamation.  I need reclamation examples for aggregates, metal, coal and industrial minerals.  Each should include no more than 2-3 lines explaining the city and state, who mined it, and what the final area is today.  I appreciate your help.  Email them to me at hayden@smenet.org.  

------------------------------
    John S. Hayden, PG REM
    Director, Public Affairs & Government Relations
    SME
    Denver, CO
    720 237 6547
    hayden@smenet.org

• 2.  RE: Request for new MEC reclamation stories

Posted 11-24-2015 03:25 PM

John,

Shawn Frye, P.E. Mining Engineer for Blaschak Coal Corp. We have a site in Northumberland County, south of Shamokin where we mined anthracite coal for many years. We also had an ash disposal area. The site is mostly reclaimed and we may or may not conduct additional mining on the property at some time in the future. We worked with Synagro in the final reclamation phase. They performed all of the permitting, obtained approvals, and applied composted Class B sewage sludge to all areas and completed the seeding. We have photos on our web site that show the open pits as we mined and post reclamation photos. The interesting thing with this property is that it sits directly between the two development areas of the Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area (AOAA) and we are currently working on a lease to the AOAA that would allow them to use the property for their main access to their western trail areas. Eventually, the AOAA uses may drive future development of our mine property. I would be happy to show you the site or provide more information if you're interested. Thanks.

Shawn J. Frye

Blaschak Coal Corp., P.O. Box 12, Mahanoy City, PA 17948

Office: 570-773-2113, Cell: 570-573-4320

The web site is blaschakcoal.com

Michael Korb
    Environmental Program Manager
    Pennsylvania DEP- Bureau of Abandoned Mine Reclamation
    Wilkes Barre PA United States
    (570) 826-2371