SME Outreach Resources

View Only
  • 1.  Outreach Example - Display at a local museum

Posted 10-28-2015 04:44 PM

Hello SME Outreach Resources Community group!

SME Outreach Resources Community group member, Dick Beach, representing the CO Section MEC subcommittee, sent in this report on local outreach. The volunteers staffed a booth at a local museum, handed out materials and talked to attendees about the importance of mining and minerals.

Colorado Section/SME Minerals Education Coalition (MEC) volunteers staffed a booth at the Denver Museum of Nature & Science on Sept. 27.  Museum visitors had an opportunity to learn about  the essential role that mineral resources and mining play in our lives.  Posters and handouts from MEC spoke to careers in mining, safety and reclamation practices;  a laptop running the MEC web site allowed visitors to check out other educational resources, as well.  Display boxes from the Colorado Mining Association illustrated many common products from mining that we use every day.  Several hundred samples of important mineral resources--coal, gypsum, limestone, and marble--were handed out to eager visitors.

MEC thanks these Colorado Section volunteers,--Cathy Begej, Karen Jass, and Dick Beach--the Colorado Mining Association, and national SME/MEC who provided support.

Share your local outreach efforts with other SME members, sections and student chapters - reply to this message!  

If you need additional ideas, check out  www.mineralseducationcoalition.org/outreach-ideas

Minerals Education Coalition remove preview
    Outreach Ideas
    No matter your situation, you can conduct outreach in your local area! If your SME Section has funds, but no volunteers: purchase educational resources for area teachers, if your SME student chapter has volunteers, but no funds, volunteer your time at a local science teacher conference.
    View this on Minerals Education Coalition >

------------------------------
    Rachel Grimes
    MEC Outreach Coordinator
    SME Inc
    Englewood CO United States
    (303) 948-4247
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Outreach Example - Display at a local museum

Posted 10-29-2015 11:28 AM
    Hi Rachel. Can you send me a copy of the Pittsburgh Section MEC report used for the section award?  I've got a draft but not the final.

• 3.  RE: Outreach Example - Display at a local museum

Posted 10-29-2015 01:32 PM
      |   view attached
    Rachel and everyone, please see the attached document which describes two minerals outreach events in the Washington DC area that have potential to be replicated throughout the country.

Feel free to "repackage" the document if that works better on the SME "community" system.

Mike

MIKE'S MINE

L. Michael "Mike" Kaas
    4006 North 25th Street
    Arlington, VA USA 22207
    Telephone: 703-525-3592 (Home)
    E-mail: minermike@att.net

Attachment(s)

• 4.  RE: Outreach Example - Display at a local museum

Posted 10-29-2015 02:47 PM
    Mike, I really like the house wall section to show mineral use.  great for show and tell. we have used props but never an assembly like that. 
    Dan

• 5.  RE: Outreach Example - Display at a local museum

Posted 10-29-2015 02:57 PM
    Easy to make from scraps found at any construction site (or DIY project).  I built two sizes, one about 12"x12" and the other about 24"x24."  The smaller one is shown in the close-ups.  The larger one we use at the Building Museum along with big mineral specimens and mine photos.

Mike

MIKE'S MINE

L. Michael "Mike" Kaas
    4006 North 25th Street
    Arlington, VA USA 22207
    Telephone: 703-525-3592 (Home)
    E-mail: minermike@att.net

• 6.  RE: Outreach Example - Display at a local museum

Posted 10-29-2015 03:04 PM

I agree, Dan! These activities are great.

Thanks for the descriptions, Mike!

What other activities are members using at outreach events? Share your examples!

Thanks,

Rachel

Rachel Grimes

Outreach Coordinator, Minerals Education Coalition

www.MineralsEducationCoalition.org

Society for Mining, Metallurgy & Exploration

12999 E. Adam Aircraft Circle

Englewood, CO 80112

Direct: 303-948-4247

Toll-free: 1-800-763-3132, ext. 247

Fax: 303-948-4265

grimes@smenet.org