SME Outreach Resources

View Only
  • 1.  www.MineralsEducationCoalition.org/Outreach-Ideas

Posted 09-14-2015 05:13 PM

Hello SME Members, Sections and Student Chapters,

Thank you for your interest in local outreach efforts to educate about the importance of mining and minerals in everyday life! By working together, SME can help to shape the public's perception of mining!

On our August conference call, we talked about the resources available at
    www.MineralsEducationCoalition.org/SME-Outreach-Resources

I wanted to follow up with details on the resources found at the "Outreach Resources" link on that page. 

Check out www.mineralseducationcoalition.org/Outreach-Ideas. Here you can find ideas for outreach for as an SME Member or for your SME Section or Student Chapter. Just some of the ideas on this page:

• Conduct presentations in local K – 12 schools.
    • Staff a booth at an educational conference in your area.
    • Purchase posters to distribute to local educators.

Find the resources you need to be successful with any of these ideas at www.MineralsEducationCoalition.org/SME-Outreach-Resources

After you’ve had a chance to review these pages, I'm looking for feedback! 

• Do you talk about your job in the mining industry and wear your PPE for presentations?
    • What’s your favorite conference to attend in your local area?
    • Which posters are best received by teachers?

Reply to the group with your experience with local outreach activities!

Feel free to invite others to join SME Outreach Resources community group to join the discussion about the importance of mining and minerals in every day life.

Our next call is this Thursday, September 17, 2015 at 11 am (EDT).

Thanks,
    Rachel

Next Call

Thursday, September 17, 2015

11 AM (EDT)

Conference Call Information

1-800-615-2830

Pass code: 8521149#

Cost code: 470#

------------------------------
    Rachel Grimes
    MEC Outreach Coordinator
    SME Inc
    Englewood CO United States
    (303) 948-4247

• 2.  RE: www.MineralsEducationCoalition.org/Outreach-Ideas

Posted 09-15-2015 07:58 AM

Good Morning Rachel;

Just so you don't think I am not paying attention, I thought I needed to reply…  It appears that so far, every meeting has been during a scheduled appointment either with one of my doctors or the physical therapist.  Hip is healing but more slowly than the doctor thought but then he tells me he had to do some vigorous work to my hip.  Apparently he had not had one that had been bad for so long so the operation and effort to remove the old ball from the socket took longer and more energy/effort than expected.

Hope you are doing well… I have to go to PT.

pkm

• 3.  RE: www.MineralsEducationCoalition.org/Outreach-Ideas

Posted 09-16-2015 10:20 AM

Good morning, per Rachel's request...I have included a summary on an event the SME MN participated.

Earlier this month, we participated in a teacher in-service with local school districts. Just under 40 teachers attended one of our four sessions. During the sessions we covered mining 101 focused on iron and copper mining in Minnesota and then we went through the resources on the MEC website. The teachers were very interested in the teacher resources on the website. We sent each participant home with a packet of information including the MEC brochure, a sheet of helpful resources (websites discussed throughout the session) and two posters (Iron in our Electrical World and Rock Odyssey). Finally, we donated four box sets (two of each Rock Odyssey and Rocks Build America) to the assembly drawing for the schools. Rachel helped me out tremendously in selecting teacher resources that she thought would best suit a broad audience. The goal is to maintain contact with these teachers and continue to be a resource in the classroom. If you have any questions, please let me know!

Julie Marinucci
    Sr. Project Manager
    SEH Inc
    Virginia MN United States
    (218) 341-1429

• 4.  RE: www.MineralsEducationCoalition.org/Outreach-Ideas

Posted 09-16-2015 11:21 AM

Thanks for sharing your outreach success story, Julie!

If anyone else would like to share a local outreach event, please reply to the group.

Keep in mind that discounted bulk posters are available for SME member, section and student chapter outreach. Learn more at www.mineralseducationcoalition.org/materials.

Let me know how I can support your local outreach efforts!

Thank,
    Rachel

Rachel Grimes

Outreach Coordinator, Minerals Education Coalition

www.MineralsEducationCoalition.org

Society for Mining, Metallurgy & Exploration

12999 E. Adam Aircraft Circle

Englewood, CO 80112

Direct: 303-948-4247

Toll-free: 1-800-763-3132, ext. 247

Fax: 303-948-4265

grimes@smenet.org

• 5.  RE: www.MineralsEducationCoalition.org/Outreach-Ideas

Posted 10-19-2015 12:46 PM

Hello SME Members, Sections and Student Chapters, 

Thank you for your interest in local outreach efforts to educate about the importance of mining and minerals in everyday life! By working together, we can help to shape the public's perception of mining! 

One idea for expanding your local outreach is to attend state education conferences. Two great conferences are:

Print free handouts from the MEC website or purchase posters from the MEC online store. Contact me for bulk material discounts (Rachel Grimes 303-948-4247, grimes@smenet.org). 

Find more information and resources at www.mineralseducationcoalition.org/outreach-ideas.

Thanks,

Rachel

Rachel Grimes
    MEC Outreach Coordinator
    SME Inc
    Englewood CO United States
    (303) 948-4247