Georgia SME Section

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

August 20 SME Georgia Noon Meeting, Mine Subsidence - Cause, Effect, Mitigation, Dr. Gennaro G. Marino

• 1.  August 20 SME Georgia Noon Meeting, Mine Subsidence - Cause, Effect, Mitigation, Dr. Gennaro G. Marino

Posted 08-12-2020 03:23 PM
    Steven Stokowski is inviting you to a scheduled ZOOM AEG Atlanta and SME Georgia Virtual Meeting.
    Topic: Mine Subsidence - Cause, Effect, Mitigation (Abstract below)
    Presenter: Dr. Gennaro G. Marino, P.E., D.GE, Marino Engineering Associates, Inc., St. Louis, Missouri (Bio below)
    Time: Noon, Thursday, Aug 20, 2020 Eastern Time (US and Canada)
    Join Zoom Meeting
    https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86335864006
    Meeting ID: 863 3586 4006
    One tap mobile
    +16465588656,,86335864006# US (New York)
    +13017158592,,86335864006# US (Germantown)
    Dial by your location
            +1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
            +1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
            +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
            +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
            +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
            +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
    Meeting ID: 863 3586 4006
    Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kg8LoYqDJ
    Presentation:
    Mine Subsidence: Cause, Effect, Mitigation
    Gennaro G. Marino, Ph.D., P.E., D.GE Marino Engineering Associates, Inc.
    1370 McCausland Avenue Saint Louis, MO 63117 gmarino@meacorporation.com (314) 833-3189
    This presentation covers key aspects of mine subsidence engineering, a subject that is not well understood, and embraces a number of engineering disciplines. It focuses on the causes of mine subsidence and how mine stability relates to the resulting ground movements. Different mining and geologic conditions determine the mode of failure of the mine. The mode of mine failure in turn affects the resulting subsidence movement. Prediction of subsidence and damage potential are also key aspects of subsidence engineering. Case histories will be presented which illustrate different ground movement and damage scenarios. This presentation will be presented in a manner that will be understandable to anyone that would be interested in learning more about mine subsidence.
    Biography:
    Dr. Gennaro G. Marino received his Ph.D. in Civil Engineering in 1985, from the University of Illinois. His thesis topic was related to mine subsidence and structural response to subsidence over room and pillar mines. Dr. Marino presently has a P.E. license in 27 states.
    Over the course of his career, Dr. Marino has authored over 100 articles and publications on subsidence engineering topics. In 2015, Dr. Marino received Distinguished Alumnus Award from the Civil and Environmental Engineering Alumni Association of the University of Illinois. In 2013, The Academy of Geo-Professionals (AGP) of ASCE recognized Dr. Marino as a Diplomate Geotechnical Engineer (D.GE) for his superior expertise and experience, strong ethics, commitment to life-long learning and continued professional development in the field of Geotechnical Engineering. In 2011, Dr. Marino was selected as the Central Illinois, ASCE Civil Engineer of the Year. Marino Engineering Associates, Inc. was chosen as 1st runner-up for the Central Illinois, ASCE Civil Engineering Project of the Year for 2010.
    Working in the area of mine subsidence for over 40 years in various ore fields in the U.S., Dr. Marino has researched and consulted on all aspects of subsidence engineering with government agencies, engineering and architectural firms, surface owners, as well as pipeline, insurance and mining companies. His work includes planning, mining and abandonment stages of room and pillar to high extraction workings, as well as related cause and origin investigations.

Steve

S. J. Stokowski, CPG
    Co-Chair, SME Georgia

Web: www.linkedin.com/in/stevenstokowski/
    cell: 508-259-3536 

------------------------------
    SStokowski@yahoo.com

• 2.  RE: August 20 SME Georgia Noon Meeting, Mine Subsidence - Cause, Effect, Mitigation, Dr. Gennaro G. Marino

Posted 08-19-2020 07:06 PM
    REMINDER:  This webinar is on Thursday August 20, at NOON!

SStokowski@yahoo.com