Mineral & Metallurgical Processing Division

View Only
  • 1.  Flotation Plant

Posted 03-12-2022 07:06 PM
    We are currently operating a Merrill Crowe Plant in Mexico to process the material from selected mines.  The time has come for us to give serious consideration to adding a Flotation Plant.  I have little to no experience with Flotation and I am seeking some help and advice.  I would like to have a plant that could process about 300 Metric Tons per day.  This is a lot of Material for us per day as we are more accustomed to about 80 MT per day at our Merrill Crowe facility.  However, this mine that we have, could be open pit to get the volume for a plant that size.   I am looking for suggestions, Ideas, recommended equipment and honestly some general input on do's and dont's.  Last but not Least I would appreciate some cost estimates if anyone would offer up that information.   I am open to any ideas, suggestions and recommendations and they would be greatly appreciated
    Thank you

------------------------------
    Jack Hale
    Lake Havasu City AZ United States
    (928)453-7085

• 2.  RE: Flotation Plant

Posted 03-13-2022 11:41 AM

Jack:

An interesting question!  WAY more information is required at this stage of a project than "how do you build a flotation plant and how much will it cost".  That is one of the last questions, not the first.  The first is "What is the optimal processing operation to use on MY ORE".  No two beneficiation plants are the same.  Flotation may not even be the best route for a gold ore.  That can only be determined by hiring a testing lab and asking them to develop an optimal flowsheet for your ore.  Of course, you will need to submit multiple samples of what you will be mining in the future.  Once you have a flowsheet, then you can look to a design and construction firm (there are several good mining construction firms around!).  Until you have a flowsheet, no one can answer your economic questions.  The cost can be highly variable depending on what process you need, how fine a grind you need, and how much flotation time you need – if flotation is even the best process.  All questions that can be answered by a flowsheet development metallurgist.  Your current cyanidation process may well be the best solution.

Bottom line – first find a reputable gold beneficiation flowsheet development firm to take this to the next step. 

Glen

• 3.  RE: Flotation Plant

Posted 03-13-2022 08:15 PM
    Jack Hale, 
    Based on my 60 years as an extractive metallurgical engineer, I totally agree with both Glen Oswald and Ted Seep about the sampling, test work, and mineralogy that you need before building anything.  I would also add that it's essential that you have the economic reserves in your mine to sustain an expansion.  I worked for Hazen Research for 6 years and they are a world class metallurgical laboratory.  McClelland Laboratory in Sparks, NV is also excellent.  Good luck. 
    Paul Chamberlin

[PaulFirstName] [ChamberlinLastName]
    Retired
    Highlands Ranch CO United States
    (303) 870-3106PaulChamberlinPaul[pdcham7@gmail.comEmailAddress]

• 4.  RE: Flotation Plant

Posted 03-13-2022 07:30 PM
    Jack -

First of all, what type of flotation concentrates (cons) are you thinking about recovering?  Are these complex sulfide ores in which you may have copper, lead and zinc?  If so, are you thinking about individual copper, lead and zinc cons, or just a bulk concentrate.  Whatever the case you will need testing done on cores or bulk samples from the mine to determine grinding requirements (how fine of a grind is required for metal liberation), metal recoveries, reagents requirements and other parameters which will be used to develop a process design criteria for the mill design.  Hazen Research in Golden, CO performs these all the time, and I believe there are other research facilities in Salt Lake City that also perform these tests.  This would be your starting point.  I wouldn't even think about developing any cost estimates at this time because you don't have the basics in hand yet.

If you are doing this with internal staff, I would start with a budget of $50,000 to $100,000 to cover the contract with the research facility, as well as covering expenses for your personnel to oversee testing.

Ted Seep
    Retired Technical Services Manager
    Jacobs Engineering