Mineral & Metallurgical Processing Division

View Only

MPD Calendar - Mark these dates!

• 1.  MPD Calendar - Mark these dates!

Posted 12-01-2016 06:00 PM

Hello MPD Member,

Every month, we print a Fine Grind article in Mining Engineering to keep you in touch with the latest happenings, technical updates and other interesting news from the division. Please feel free to comment, discuss or ask questions.

We look forward to hearing from you,
    Mineral & Metallurgical Processing Division Executive Committee
    Scott Shuey, Secretary Treasurer

December Fine Grind

MPD Calendar — Mark These Dates
    by Jim Metsa, second regional vice chair, MPD Executive Committee

It is hard to believe that 2016 is almost over. It seems like yesterday that I put up my 2016-2017 Mineral & Metallurgical Processing Division (MPD) calendar. I look back at each month with its marked dates that remind me of my hectic travel schedule. How the months fly by. Each month in this special calendar is an exclusive advertisement for the sponsor who supports it. The MPD Executive Committee would like to thank each and every one of our 2016 and 2017 sponsors. Your generosity makes this program a success.

One of the duties of the MPD is to provide scholarships to graduate and undergraduate engineering students. It has implemented several programs to fund this initiative, such as the Scotch Nightcap, the MPD calendar and the annual MPD luncheon. The funds received from these programs go toward our awards and to student scholarships. As a member of the MPD Executive Committee, I feel this is the most rewarding part of the SME Annual Conference & Expo. It is gratifying to help those students who receive these scholarship awards. It is an investment in their futures, and we all know how much it costs to receive a degree. By supporting the MPD calendar, the Scotch Nightcap and the MPD luncheon, you help generate the funds that go to scholarships.

If you are planning on attending the 2017 SME Annual Conference & Expo in Denver, CO, I strongly suggest that you take the time to attend the Scotch Nightcap social event, which will be held on Tuesday, Feb. 21, from 8 to 11 pm. You can have dinner and still have time to finish off your evening by enjoying some intellectual conversation and story telling, accompanied by great scotch, other beverages, music and appetizers. Tickets for this event can be purchased in advance, and they will be available at the registration desk. We will also be selling them at the door, so please bring a friend. The MPD Executive Committee would like to thank the past sponsors for this event and welcome any additional sponsors for 2017. The new MPD calendar will be available at the 2017 conference, and the MPD Executive Committee would like to thank all the sponsors of that 2017-2018 calendar for their generosity:

• BASF
    • Bechtel
    • Black & Veatch
    • Derrick Corp.
    • FLSmidth
    • Kappes, Cassiday & Associates
    • Outotec
    • Terra Nova Technologies
    • ThyssenKrupp Industrial Solutions
    • Weir Minerals
    • Woodgrove Technologies
    • WesTech Engineering

Finally, set aside time on Wednesday, Feb. 22, from noon to 1:30 pm, to attend the MPD division luncheon. Tickets for this event are also available in advance and at the registration desk. Posters from the Student Poster Contest will be on display prior to the luncheon, so make some time to come early and meet the students who have spent countless hours preparing posters presenting their work. This event is always well attended, so if your company is interested in sponsoring the luncheon, you will be recognized by all your peers.

For those of you who plan on attending our 2017 Annual Conference & Expo and have attended the events described above, we want to thank you for your support. For those of you who have not attended any of the social activities described above, we urge you to do so. What do you have to lose, except a small contribution that supports the future leadership of our industry? Perhaps you will also make some new friends. See you there!

------------------------------
    Scott Shuey PHD,QP
    Manager of Refractory Hydrometallurgical Technology
    Newmont Mining Corp
    Englewood CO United States
    (303) 708-4132
    ------------------------------