Mineral & Metallurgical Processing Division

View Only
  • 1.  COMMENTS REQUESTED FROM MINING MANAGERS

Posted 03-28-2023 10:49 PM

Effective maintenance requires the support and cooperation from many other mining departments: Material support from warehousing, for example, and from operations, meeting maintenance schedules. These interactions require a well-documented exchange of operating procedures to function efficiently. Would an explanation of how maintenance work is requested, identified, classified, planned, scheduled, assigned, controlled, measured, and assessed help your organization?

Your view: [     ]  1 – 10 (Highest). Comments welcome.  

------------------------------
    Paul Tomlingson
    Retired, Maintenance Consultant
    Denver. Colorado USA
    303 656 7875
    pdtmtc@msn.com

• 2.  RE: COMMENTS REQUESTED FROM MINING MANAGERS

Posted 03-29-2023 07:14 PM

For 44 years, I had opportunity to provide maintenance management consulting services to 66 mining operations in 13 different

countries. I found that few maintenance organizations bothered to explain how their work was requested, identified, classified,

planned, scheduled, assigned, controlled, measured, and assessed. That is, how they managed their activities. An operations

manager noted: "If no one knows what they are doing, then they can't be criticized." A frustrated plant manager complained: "Finding

out what maintenance is doing is like trying to separate fly-sh.t from pepper with boxing gloves on." We helped maintenance

document a program and were pleased that they had the answers. When other departments and management were asked for

comments, praise and encouragement followed. While our 66 clients were a small sample, the deliberate involvement of maintenance

resolved the situation. Upon retiring in 2018, this oversight, to my knowledge had not been resolved. Does it still exist? If so, I would

like to propose a solution.    

Paul Tomlingson
    Retired, Maintenance consultant
    Denver. Colorado USA
    303 656 7875
    pdtmtc@msn.com TomlingsonTomlingson

• 3.  RE: COMMENTS REQUESTED FROM MINING MANAGERS

Posted 03-29-2023 10:11 PM

For 44 years, I had opportunity to provide maintenance management consulting services to 66 mining operations in 13 different

countries. I found that few maintenance organizations bothered to explain how their work was requested, identified, classified,

planned, scheduled, assigned, controlled, measured, and assessed. That is, how they managed their activities. An operations

manager noted: "If no one knows what they are doing, then they can't be criticized." A frustrated plant manager complained: "Finding

out what maintenance is doing is like trying to separate fly-sh.t from pepper with boxing gloves on." We helped maintenance

document a program and were pleased that they had the answers. When other departments and management were asked for

comments, praise and encouragement followed. While our 66 clients were a small sample, the deliberate involvement of maintenance

resolved the situation. Upon retiring in 2018, this oversight, to my knowledge had not been resolved. Does it still exist? If so, I would

like to propose a solution.    

Paul Tomlingson
    Retired, Maintenance consultant
    Denver. Colorado USA
    303 656 7875
    pdtmtc@msn.com