Northern California SME Section

View Only
  • 1.  Election of Officers

Posted 07-10-2020 06:10 PM
    The Section By-Laws call for an election of new officers.  They state:

ARTICLE V

OFFICERS

Sec. 1  The officers of this Section shall be a Chairperson, Past Chairperson, Vice Chairman who will be the Program Chairman, and a Secretary – Treasurer.   It is the intent that the Chairperson will alternate between the geographic areas previously known as the Sierra Nevada Section and the San Francisco Section.  The Chairperson can succeed themselves once if no other candidates are available. 

Sec. 2  There shall be an Executive Committee which will be composed of the aforementioned officers and two (2) members of the Section as elected by the Members.

Sec 3.  All officers must be Members or Associate Members at the time of their election, in good standing with SME.

Sec 4.  A vacancy in any office occurring between Annual Elections shall be filled by the Executive Committee.

ARTICLE VI

ELECTION OF OFFICERS

Sec 1.  The Chairperson, with the approval of the Executive Committee shall appoint, not later than November of each year composed of a minimum of three (3) members of the Section, with the intent that they be of different geographic areas as possible within the Section.  Their function will be to present a slate of at least one candidate of each office at the year end meeting.  Additional nominations may be made from the floor.

Sec 2.  The officers of this Section shall be elected at the year end meeting, or as soon as possible after the first of the New Year.  The election shall be conducted by a vote of the Members and Associates present.  To be elected, each candidate must receive a simple majority of the votes of the eligible members present at the meeting.  At the discretion of the Executive Committee a vote of the members by e-mail may be conducted if it is not possible to hold a general membership meeting.

With that being said, we are woefully lacking in doing our duty as a Section.  Currently we have 2 active Section officers, myself and Andy Sass as Treasurer.  Both of us have greatly exceeded our term limits.  In correspondence with members of this Section, I have received a number of responses back telling me that you want to help but either don't know how or what or that you will once your current job lightens up and you have time.  As for the how - get involved, even if it is just helping out with some activity like a field trip to your place of work (or someone else's),      what - be an active member!  If you want to become an officer remember, we all had to start sometime.  There are a lot of great resources to help mentor you, not only those who have done it but through SME.  As far as time is concerned - delegate.  The more people who help the less there is for any one individual to do.  

We cannot get together for a group meeting  and I am not sure if a zoom gathering or a conference all would work but I am open to suggestions.  It doesn't take much, just for you to say you will help.  I will get all who step forward together (one way or another) and we can sort it out.  Please respond back to me with your willingness to help and keep the Northern California Section alive.

Thank you.

------------------------------
    William Warfield
    Roseville CA United States
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Election of Officers

Posted 07-11-2020 12:19 PM
    William:
    I could host a group at the Kennedy Mine. (Check out kennedygoldmine.org) A gathering could serve as a meeting as there are 152 acres of space for distancing.
    Doug Ketron

Sent from my iPad