Northern California SME Section

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

IMPORTANT !!

• 1.  IMPORTANT !!

Posted 06-20-2019 06:28 PM
    The Northern California Section is undergoing another change in leadership.  I saw a posting by Mauricio Solario, Section Chair, announcing that he is now a Research Assistant at UNR.  I contacted him about the change and he said that his employer, Rivos which was based in San Francisco had abruptly shut down and laid everyone off.  This not only affected Mauricio but the other Section officers as well.  He said that he would send out an announcement to the Section but since he has not done so yet, I wanted to communicate with you.

We have a healthy (?) section with a solid bank account, a good number of members located around Northern California and support from SME but we lack one thing, LEADERSHIP.  Andy Sass is still our treasurer, which is a very good thing.  What we need the most to get the Section back on solid footing is a Program Chair and Vice Chair.  The two officers work together to put together meetings.  Because of the widespread nature of the Section membership, these meetings do not have to always be in the same place but do move around in order to serve the membership.  They usually consist of a speaker presenting on a topical subject, which will attract members, but the meeting can also consist of a field trip to a producing quarry, processing plant, operating mine or a historical one and even a historic, operating dredge.  Meetings in the past were every month, historically, but have in more recent times been every 2 or 3 months.  The more frequent, the better to keep the membership engaged. 

For the Section to be successful we must have a succession plan.  As an officer, you need to make sure that there is always someone ready to step in for the position of Secretary.  Each officer moves up to the next level which means that there is always a Chair.  As we have learned, it is bad practice to have too many of the officers from the same company.  It is best for the Program Chair to be a person who has knowledge of the area and contacts for generating speakers.  SME can help but this is good for only 1 or 2 meetings a year.  

This is the time of year when officers traditionally change.  We need to have leadership in place by September.  If you are interested and willing to help with this Professional Society, please respond with what you would like to do. SME has many things to offer outside of the traditional fields now with the Health & Safety Division and a renewed emphasis on the Environmental Division. That should expand the offering to the members.  Programming will be a joint effort until we can get on firmer footing.  No one will be expected or required to take on a heavy load in getting the Section up and running.  Communications can usually be handled through the SME Community, Andy is still the treasurer, what we need is help in organizing the meetings, location and speakers.  

Respond with your thoughts and ideas as well as you interest.  Thank you.

------------------------------
    William Warfield
    Roseville CA United States

• 2.  RE: IMPORTANT !!

Posted 06-26-2019 05:20 PM
    I'm new to this professional organization and this section. I'm a land surveyor that runs an underground utility locating and GPR department. I'd be interested in serving. I just need to know how to get started. I can help organize and host meetings across several locations in Central California as well.

Landon

Landon Blake
    Stockton CA United States
    (209)464-2612

• 3.  RE: IMPORTANT !!

Posted 06-29-2019 05:40 PM
    It's great to hear from someone who is new to the Section and would
    like to get involved. Keep a look out for messages through the Community
    website. We will need to organize a meeting for September/October. There
    will be further requests for help.
    If anyone would like to suggest a meeting place for the Section I
    will try to get a speaker.

Bill Warfield
    1708 Monte Bell Ct.
    Roseville, CA. 95661
    wfdbill@comcast.net <mailto:wfdbill@comcast.net>
    cell 916-390-6100

• 4.  RE: IMPORTANT !!

Posted 07-01-2019 02:16 PM
    I'm sure my company would be willing to host a meeting. We've got offices in Sacramento, Lathrop, Pleasanton and all over the Bay Area.

I'll wait to hear more.

Landon

• 5.  RE: IMPORTANT !!

Posted 07-09-2019 03:09 PM
    Your company would like to sponsor a meeting?  Pleasanton is a good central location, as is Sacramento, which for a meeting which we would hope to draw the largest number of Section members this would probably be best.  Do you have a venue for a meeting or would you just sponsor if someone else came up with a location?   Give us some more details on what you would like to see.  

Once we get better organized, the other locations that your company is located in could help spread out the meeting locations to better serve our membership.

William Warfield

• 6.  RE: IMPORTANT !!

Posted 07-01-2019 06:57 PM
    Bill:

Out of the way,?? but you might consider a Saturday or Sunday to meet at
    the Kennedy Mine in Jackson.?? Could do a tour and make a day of it.??
    Check out <kennedygoldmine.org>

Doug Ketron

• 7.  RE: IMPORTANT !!

Posted 07-02-2019 11:09 AM
    Jackson is not far from my home!

Landon Blake
    (209)464-2612

• 8.  RE: IMPORTANT !!

Posted 07-02-2019 11:15 AM
    In my?? note I referenced the Kennedy website, but it was deleted and does not show.?? Kennedygoldmine describes what the foundation does.?? We hosted abut 1700 school kids and some 2000 adult visitors last year.?? Would make a nice field day.?? Also it would be nice if the industry knew we are here.

Doug Ketron

On 07/02/2019 8:11 AM, Landon Blake via Society for Mining Metallurgy & Exploration wrote:
    0100016bb33d38e6-8fc96c39-59db-4d42-b9cd-3144adfcc72b-000000@email.amazonses.com">
    Jackson is not far from my home! ------------------------------ Landon Blake Stockton CA United States (209)464-2612 ------------------------------ -replied to the "Northern California SME Section" group

Northern California SME Section

?? Post New Message
    Re: IMPORTANT !!
    Reply to Group Reply to Sender
    Jul 2, 2019 11:09 AM
    Landon Blake

Landon Blake
    (209)464-2612
    ?? Reply to Group Online ?? View Thread ?? Recommend ??

??
    You are receiving this message because you followed the 'IMPORTANT !!' message thread. To unsubscribe from this message thread, go to Unsubscribe.

Update your email preferences to choose the types of email you receive

Unsubscribe from all participation emails

Original Message------

Landon Blake
    (209)464-2612

• 9.  RE: IMPORTANT !!

Posted 07-09-2019 03:21 PM
    I have driven by the Kennedy Mine many times over the years but did not know that they were ever available for tours.  The Section used to visit some of the historical mines as well as operating quarries.  It is time we did another field trip.  What we need now is someone to help organize a trip and put out the call.  It is fun to come up with suggestions but I recommend that you look at the list of members in the Section and find a few who are in your geographic area and solicit their help.   Any month could work but if it is weather dependent then fall or spring meetings work best.  

Anyone in the Grass Valley area that would like to organize something for the Empire Mine?  How about Antioch for the Black Diamond?  If you have something in your back yard that would of interest to the Section, grab some local folks and organize a meeting.  A tour followed by pizza and beer makes a great outing.  

The mobile crusher at Granite Rock's Aromas quarry made the news recently as it had to be moved to a different part of the quarry.  We have members who would be interested in seeing that operation. Anyone have any contacts there?  If not a trip then a presentation at one of the meetings? 

Once we can get a venue for the next meeting I can arrange to get a speaker.  Can someone come up with a place to meet in Sept/Oct?

William Warfield

• 10.  RE: IMPORTANT !!

Posted 08-05-2019 04:11 PM
    Hi,
    I am a new member, but have not attended any meetings yet.
    I will be keen to attend meetings and help out if I can.
    I do travel an awful lot, so scheduling can be tricky.
    Chris Johnson
    Mining Engineer
    Redwood City

Christopher Johnson
    Newmont Mining Corp
    Redwood City CA United States
    (303)859-7062

• 11.  RE: IMPORTANT !!

Posted 08-06-2019 01:20 PM

Welcome!!! Hope to meet you in person.

Warm Regards,

Alberto

Alberto Ramirez O.

Teichert Materials

PM Mining & Environmental Engineering

3500 American River Drive

Sacramento CA 95864

Corp 916 484-3348

Cell 530 701-4383

aramirez@teichert.com

www.teichert.com

53a0a8a8-90f9-410f-a170-c2535e6cacc5

Since 1887  CA Contractors License #8

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication with its contents may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. It is solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). Unauthorized interception, review, use or disclosure is prohibited and may violate applicable laws including the Electronic Communications Privacy Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of the communication.

NOTA DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD
    La información contenida en este correo es privilegiada, confidencial y solo de interés para el destinatario. La lectura, difusión, distribución o copia de este correo está prohibida. Si usted no es el destinatario legítimo del mismo, por favor repórtelo inmediatamente al remitente del correo y bórrelo