To understand the state of automation technologies, their implementation in the United States, and the health and safety concerns associated with the technology, NIOSH seeks public input on the following questions:
1. To what extent will automation and associated technologies be implemented in mining and in what timeframe?
2. What are the related health and safety concerns with automation and associated technologies in mining?
3. What gaps exist in occupational health and safety research related to automation and associated technologies? While the above questions have priority, NIOSH also seeks public comment on the state of the technology and the health and safety concerns
associated with the following specific topics related to automation:
4. What are the major safety concerns associated with humans working near or interacting with automated mining equipment? Have other organizations addressed the safety concerns associated with humans working near or interacting with automated mining equipment? If yes, please provide a description.
5. What research has been conducted, or approaches taken, to address the potential for human cognitive processing confusion, misunderstanding, and task or information overload associated with monitoring or controlling automated mining equipment or other monitoring systems (e.g., fleet management, environmental monitoring, safety systems, health care systems)?
6. What is the state of the art for display methodologies and technologies to provide mine personnel and equipment operators with information
on operational status, location, and sensory and environmental feedback from automated mining equipment or systems?
7. What sensor technology improvements are needed to ensure the safety of humans working on or near automated equipment?
8. How are existing methods of big data analytics applied to automated mining equipment or systems? Are there health and safety benefits to these applications? If yes, please describe.
9. Are there any needed improvements to guidelines or industry standards for automated mining system safe design and operation practices? If
yes, please describe.
10. Are there any needed improvements to training materials, training protocols, and operating procedures for system safety design principles related to automated mining systems? If yes, please describe.