Southern California Mining SME Section

View Only

You're invited to a free webinar hosted by the SoCal Section of SME

• 1.  You're invited to a free webinar hosted by the SoCal Section of SME

Posted 09-04-2020 01:04 PM

SoCal SME Section presents Brad Ross, "Rise to the Occasion – Lessons from the Bingham Canyon Manefay Slide".

All are invited to this free webinar: September 10, 2020; 6 - 7 pm Pacific Time

https://arizona.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJUtf-CspjIvHtQ6vsAmMlJyHHgnBwp7PFYq

Abstract: The Manefay highwall failure at Rio Tinto Kennecott's Bingham Canyon Mine in 2013 was significantly larger and had a very different failure mechanism from any landslide the mine had ever experienced in its 107-year history. This failure forced the mine personnel to look at potential highwall failures differently than it had in the past.
    This talk describes what happened, how the mine prepared for the failure as well as how the mine personnel were able to recover from the massive event. It also talks about how leadership, teamwork and dedication resulted in incredible innovation.

Speaker Biography: Dr. Brad Ross is the founder and Director of the Geotechnical Center of Excellence at the University of Arizona, which is dedicated to creating multi-disciplinary research and academics related to the geotechnical issues in the mining industry. He is also a Professor of Practice in the Mining and Geological Engineering Department.
    Brad is a Professional Mining Engineer with over 35 years of industry experience. For his last industry position, he was brought into the Bingham Canyon Mine in 2013 to help the mine prepare for and then recover from the gigantic Manefay landslide, the largest in mining history. He has written a book about that experience called "Rise to the Occasion – Lessons From the Bingham Canyon Manefay Slide".

Feel free to forward to any interested parties.

Stay safe!

------------------------------
    G Todd Ririe
    BP
    Chino Hills CA United States
    (714)504-2316
    ------------------------------