Blogs

1 person like s this.
Women In Tunneling is featuring exemplary female representatives of the tunneling industry in order to amplify their experiences in the underground field. In June 2022, we introduce you to Lizan Gilbert, Vice President, Hill International What is your actual involvement in the tunneling business? I have 22 years in the industry. I started out as a Geotech in the field doing site investigations and writing GDR/GBRs for tunnel projects. I moved into project and program management of tunnel projects spending where I connected with a self-perform tunnel contractor. For the past 11.5 years I was part of a team that built tunnels around the country. ...
0 comments
1 person like s this.
Women In Tunneling is featuring exemplary female representatives of the tunneling industry in order to amplify their experiences in the underground field. In June 2022, we introduce you to Ashley Heckman, Regional Manager, Aldea Services, Inc. What is your actual involvement in the tunneling business? I am a tunnel engineer on the design side, but since I work mostly with Contractors, I have a considerable amount of construction experience as well. How were you introduced to the tunnel industry, and why did you decide to pursue it as a career? I completely tripped over it, actually. I was a geologist at the USGS and I was told I would never get a ...
0 comments
1 person like s this.
Women In Tunneling features an exemplary female representative of the tunneling industry each month in order to amplify their experiences in the underground field. This month we introduce you to Violaine Babolat, Business Development & Pre-Construction Manager, CBNA (Bouygues Construction). What is your actual involvement in the tunneling business? Half the heavy civil business of Bouygues Construction is in underground works. As business development manager for North America, I identify the projects where CBNA can best bring our added value, recommend them to the headquarters management and build up the team (partners and designers) to execute them. ...
0 comments
1 person like s this.
Women In Tunneling features an exemplary female representative of the tunneling industry each month in order to amplify their experiences in the underground field. This month we introduce you to Rebecca Pooker, Sr. Estimator, Alberici Constructors. What is your actual involvement in the tunneling business? I am currently a senior estimator with Alberici Constructors pursuing complex heavy civil and industrial construction projects. These projects involve a variety of challenging work, including underground excavation, controlled blasting, ground support and specialty geotechnical construction. My typical responsibilities include reviewing design ...
0 comments
1 person like s this.
Women In Tunneling features an exemplary female representative of the tunneling industry each month in order to amplify their experiences in the underground field. This month we introduce you to Ritika Kundu, Tunnel Designer & Geotechnical Engineer, COWI. What is your actual involvement in the tunneling business? I am a Tunnel Designer/ Geotechnical Engineer at COWI. I have been a part of projects with focuses that varied from tunnel decommissioning to tunnel rehabilitation, new tunnel construction. I have designed deep shafts, deep foundations, support of excavation, and retaining structures. My focus varied from analyzing the geotechnical field data ...
0 comments
1 person like s this.
Women In Tunneling features an exemplary female representative of the tunneling industry each month in order to amplify their experiences in the underground field. This month we introduce you to Theresa Engler, Executive Director at the Deep Foundations Institute. What is your actual involvement in the tunneling business? As director of a related industry association that has a tunneling and underground committee which was established in 2018, we hold a shotcrete short course bi-annually and collaborate with UCA as appropriate. How were you introduced to the tunnel industry, and why did you decide to pursue it as a career? As noted ...
0 comments
1 person like s this.
Women In Tunneling features an exemplary female representative of the tunneling industry each month in order to amplify their experiences in the underground field. Meet Grace Lui, VP, Director Business Development at FURGO. Grace shares her experiences in the tunneling and underground field. What is your actual involvement in the tunneling business? Business development, marketing for Fugro with focus in the Western Region, US and Canada How were you introduced to the tunnel industry, and why did you decide to pursue it as a career? By default/ a fluke. I worked for Jacobs Associates (aka McMillen Jacobs Associates) in the 2000’s ...
0 comments
1 person like s this.
Women In Tunneling features an exemplary female representative of the tunneling industry each month in order to amplify their experiences in the underground field. For April 2021, we are proud to introduce Maria Chastka, Project Engineer at Obayashi Corporation. Join us in our interview with Maria below as she shares about her day-to-day experiences as an engineer in the underground field. What is your actual involvement in the tunneling business? Currently, I am a Project Engineer for Obayashi Corporation overseeing the Newell Creek Dam Project for the City of Santa Cruz, CA. How were you introduced to the tunnel industry, ...
0 comments
1 person like s this.
Women In Tunneling features an exemplary female representative of the tunneling industry each month in order to highlight the significance of having diversity in the underground field. For September 2020, we are proud to introduce Marlene Wong, Senior Geotechnical Engineer at Stantec. Join us in our interview with Wong below as she shares a few genuine and hilarious anecdotes about her day-to-day experiences as a Senior in the underground field. What is your actual involvement in the tunneling business? I am a geotechnical engineer in the Tunnels and Trenchless group at Stantec. My tunneling project experience includes geotechnical investigations ...
0 comments
1 person like s this.
Women In Tunneling features an exemplary female representative of the tunneling industry each month in order to highlight the significance of having diversity in the underground field. For August 2020, we are proud to introduce Jessica Garcia, Project Manager at American Mine Services. Join us in our interview with Garcia below where she shares her insights on the industry's struggle to retain women in high leadership positions, her hopes for the industry's future, and advice for engineers looking to enter the underground field. What is your actual involvement in the tunneling business? Currently, I am a Project Manager for a mining and ...
0 comments
1 person like s this.
Women In Tunneling features an exemplary female member of the tunneling industry each month in order to highlight the significance of having diversity in the underground field. For April 2020, we are proud to introduce Shawna Von Stockhausen, Senior Project Engineer at Mott MacDonald ! Read our interview with Von Stockhausen below where she discusses her involvement in the industry, how she got started, and what we can do to attract more women to pursue careers in the tunneling and underground construction industry. What is your actual involvement in the tunneling business? I am a Civil Engineer working for Mott MacDonald and have worked on ...
0 comments
1 person like s this.
Women In Tunneling features an exemplary female member of the tunneling industry each month in order to highlight the significance of having diversity in the underground field. For March 2020, we are proud to introduce Jenn Sketchley, Senior Project Engineer at McMillen Jacobs Associates! Read our interview with Sketchley below where she discusses her involvement in the industry, how she got started, and what we can do to attract more women to pursue careers in the tunneling and underground construction industry. What is your actual involvement in the tunneling business? As a design consultant, I design and manage a wide variety of large and ...
0 comments
1 person like s this.
Women In Tunneling features an exemplary female member of the tunneling industry each month in order to highlight the significance of having diversity in the underground field. For February 2020, we are proud to introduce Bade Sozer, Senior Associate at McMillen Jacobs Associates! Read our interview with Sozer below where she discusses her involvement in the industry, how she got started, and what we can do to attract more women to pursue careers in the tunneling and underground construction industry. What is your actual involvement in the tunneling business? I am a Senior Associate at McMillen Jacobs Associates. I recently performed as the ...
0 comments
1 person like s this.
Each month, Women In Tunneling will feature an exemplary female member of the tunneling industry. For October 2019, this particular trailblazer is Dawn Dobson, business development manager at Barnard Construction Company, Inc.! Read our interview with Wilson below all about her involvement in the industry, how she got started, and what we can do to bring more women into this exciting field. 1. What is your actual involvement in the tunneling business? Currently, I’m the business development manager for the underground group at Barnard Construction Company, Inc. I meet and keep in touch with clients and engineering firms not only to discuss upcoming projects ...
0 comments
1 person like s this.
Each month, Women In Tunneling will feature an exemplary female member of the tunneling industry. For September 2019, this particular trailblazer is Sarah Wilson, Principal at McMillen Jacobs! Read our interview with Wilson below all about her involvement in the industry, how she got started, and what we can do to bring more women into this exciting field. What is your actual involvement in the tunneling business? - Designer since 1999 on transit, water, sewer, and wine cave projects, many of which have been in California, but also other locations such as Massachusetts and Puerto Rico. - Construction manager on transit and water projects in California ...
0 comments
1 person like s this.
Each month, Women In Tunneling will feature an exemplary female member of the tunneling industry. For August 2019, this particular trailblazer is Erika Moonin, Engineering Project Manager of SNWA! Read our interview with Moonin below all about her involvement in the industry, how she got started, and what we can do to bring more women into this exciting field. What is your actual involvement in the tunneling business? My involvement in the tunneling industry began in 2005 when the Southern Nevada Water Authority began planning the Lake Mead Intake No. 3 project. I was assigned as Project Manager to oversee planning, design, construction and commissioning ...
0 comments
1 person like s this.
Each month, Women In Tunneling will feature an exemplary female member of the tunneling industry. For June 2019, this particular trailblazer is Sanja Zlatanic, SVP of HNTB Corporation! Read our interview with Zlatanic below all about her involvement in the industry, how she got started, and what we can do to bring more women into this exciting field. What is your actual involvement in the tunneling business? As chair of HNTB’s National Tunnel Practice, I am responsible for establishing and growing the firm’s professional services for tunnels and complex underground structures within the U.S. and select international infrastructure, transportation, transit ...
0 comments
1 person like s this.
Each month, Women In Tunneling will feature an exemplary female member of the tunneling industry. For May 2019, this particular trailblazer is Anna Kotas, a geotechnical engineer! Read our interview with Kotas below all about her involvement in the industry, how she got started, and what we can do to bring more women into this exciting field. What is your actual involvement in the tunneling business? GeoTesting Express (GTX) is the top commercial rock mechanics labs in North America. We are involved in all phases of the tunneling process with particular emphasis on the design phase of tunnels. GTX performs a full-range of tests on rock, servicing ...
0 comments