Southern Ionics Minerals:
Heavy Mineral Sands: Geology, Mining, Processing, and Market
2018 SME Carolinas-Georgia Sections Joint Meeting and Field Trip; Jekyll Island, GA; April 27-28, 2018
(Open to All Professionals and Students - SME members and non-members)
Friday April 27, 2018:
Location: Jekyll Island Convention Center, 75 N Beachview Dr, Jekyll Island, GA 31527
Reception………………………………..…...…... 1 - 2 p.m.
Technical Presentations……........................…. 2 - 4 p.m.
- Heavy Mineral Sands: Geology, Mining, Processing, and Market
Southern Ionics Minerals, LLC
- Honoring 2018 SME Carolinas-Georgia Sections Scholarship Recipients
Dinner……………….............................………..… 4 - 6 p.m.
Saturday, April 28, 2018:
Location: Mission Mine Site, Southern Ionics Minerals, Nahunta, GA 31553
Field Trip to Southern Ionics Minerals’ Heavy Minerals Operation …....... 8 -11 a.m.
Southern Ionics Minerals LLC operates the Mission South and Indian Boundary heavy mineral sand mines in Charlton County, Georgia. The mining operations utilize a wet concentrator plant to separate the valuable heavy mineral sands from the lighter quartz sand. The heavy mineral concentrate is then trucked off-site to the Mineral Sand Plant in Pierce County, Georgia for electrostatic and magnetic separation into the individual mineral sand products: zircon, rutile, leucoxene, ilmenite, staurolite, and monazite. The field trip will visit the mines to observe active mining, heavy mineral sand separation, and reclamation.
Sponsorship and exhibiting opportunities are available for this meeting which is the largest gathering of mining professionals and students in the Southeastern USA.
Exhibit: $500; Gold Level Sponsorship: $350; Silver Level Sponsorship: $250; Bronze Level Sponsorship: $150
Sponsorship fee does not include registration fee (If you pay for a sponsorship level and want to attend the meeting, you have to separately register yourself as "Professional"). If you are interested in exhibiting or sponsoring, please contact Dr. Hamid Akbari at: email@example.com.
Registration (members and non-members):
By 3/20/2018: Professional: $100; Student: $40
By 4/20/2018: Professional: $135; Student: $65
Students who are not able to pay for the registration fee are encouraged to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and explain their situation. The registration fee will be waived for qualified students.
The registration fee covers the reception, technical program, dinner, and field trip. Each attendee is responsible for his/her lodging and also transportation to the location of the Technical Meeting in Jekyll Island, GA and Field Trip in Nahunta, GA.
To register, follow these steps (entering the participant's full name, affiliation, and email is mandatory):
First, select the registration type; Second, enter the Participant's Full Name; Third, enter the Participant's Affiliation and Email (both are mandatory, put a semicolon between them, for example: Xyz Company; email@example.com); Finally, click on the "Pay Now" button and pay using either your PayPal account or credit card (you don't have to have PayPal account).
- Entering the participant's full name, affiliation, and email address is mandatory.
- If you pay for a sponsorship level and want to attend the meeting, you have to separately register yourself as "Professional" (sponsorship fee does not include registration fee).
- All communications regarding the meeting and field trip will be done through the email address you provide during the registration. We are not responsible if you don't provide your email address or don't enter it correctly.
- You will receive a confirmation email after registration. If you paid the fee but didn't receive the registration confirmation, let us know as it means that you are not registered yet.
- If you register as "student", a student ID is needed when checking in at the time of the meeting.
Donation to the Scholarship Fund (Optional):
Each year, the Carolinas and Georgia local sections offer scholarship to students registered in a geo-science related degree in the region. To support this program, please donate using the following link:
For any questions or inquiries, please contact:
Dr. Hamid Akbari
Minerals Research Laboratory, NC State University
180 Coxe Ave, Asheville, NC 28801
Phone: 828-251-6155 Ext. 223