Humboldt Mill tour

When:  Aug 17, 2018 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM (ET)
Associated with  Upper Peninsula SME Section

SME Upper Peninsula Section is organizing a tour of Humboldt Mill on Friday, August 17, 2018 for SME members and their family. The tour will start at 10 AM and run for two hours. we ask that tour participants arrive around 9:45-9:50 am. The maximum number of tour participant is 12. So, RSVP the event if you would like to attend.  A lunch is being planned for after the tour at a local venue, details to follow. 

On the Humboldt Mill tour (2 hours) you will see what happens to the ore after it leaves the mine site. The mill tour is a walking tour, beginning at the administrative office. The tour follows the circuit of crushing, grinding and flotation processes, taking the ore from haul truck to rail car. Visitors should be prepared to spend about an hour walking on site, including up and down stairs and over metal grating. Transportation will not be provided for the Humboldt Mill tour. Driving and parking directions will be given later through email to the RSVP list members.

Requirements and Rules

Consistent with Eagle Mine policies, and for your safety, please note the following rules.

• Must be 13 years or older to participate. Those under 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
  • Must wear long pants. No capris or shorts- no exceptions.
  • Shoulders must be covered. T-shirts are acceptable. No tank tops.
  • Must wear closed-toe walking shoes/hiking boots. No sandals, clogs, heels, or “Mary Janes”. Shoes must have covered top and back. 
    • Steel-toed or safety-toe boots recommended, but not required
  • Must remove large jewelry/watches
  • Encourage to bring your own Personal Protection Equipment (i.e. hard hat, safety glasses, high visibility vest, ear plugs) if you have. If you need them, you have to notify us (schatte1@mtu.edu) at least ten days before the tour.
    • PPE WILL BE PROVIDED, if you do not have your own
  • No alcohol, drugs, or firearms on site
  • No photos or video equipment on site
  • Mill-Participants must be able to climb several flights of stairs and steep inclines, walk on the metal grating, and be able to tolerate strong odors.
  • Eagle Mine and SME Upper Peninsula Section are not responsible for any parking violations received during the tour.

Other details about the tour will be shared with the RSVP list. If you have any question, please do not hesitate to contact us.

​​

Humboldt Mill
4547 Co Rd 601
Champion, MI 49814

Contact

Snehamoy Chatterjee
(906) 487-2516
schatte1@mtu.edu