The conference is focused on the outlook, key trends and issues impacting capital raising in the global mining industry and will highlight solutions, risks and opportunities. Speakers will discuss case studies and how management and investors use best practices and technology to anticipate, track, manage and reduce technical, non-technical and financial risk associated with mining projects.
In addition to experts and executives discussing market trends and issues impacting deals being done, speakers will discuss rapid, pivotal changes re financing projects and opportunities in mining today.
BELOW IS THE SUMMARY AGENDA AND SCHEDULE - as of 15 April 2018
Visit the agenda and read about the workshops here for more details
SUNDAY APRIL 29
TWO PRE-CONFERENCE WORKSHOPS AND RECEPTION
at New York Marriott East Side Hotel at 525 Lexington Ave, at 49th St.
Noon for lunch; Start at 12:30 PM; Refreshment break at ~2:45 PM; Workshop ends at 4:30 PM
I. Improving strategic capital management with Integrated Valuation and Risk Modelling methods by Michael Samis, Associate Partner of EY Ernst & Young Read about the workshops here
II. Application of enhanced techniques for assessing risks and opportunities in mineral resource estimates: some key points for mining finance professionals led by Abani R. Samal, Ph. D., Principal, GeoGlobal LLC with Harry Parker, Technical Director of Amec Foster Wheeler, a division of the Wood Group
After the two workshops we welcome you to join us for a networking reception from 5 to 7 PM at the New York Marriott East Side Hotel at 525 Lexington Ave, at the corner of 49th Street.
Join all for a relaxing time outdoors on one of New York's classic roof top garden patios. Enjoy beverages and lite hors d'oeurves with colleagues and clients. Spouses and guests are welcome. You do not have to attend the workshop or conference to register to attend this reception or the evening receptions after the conference on Monday and Tuesday. The reception will be an enjoyable time networking with members of New York's banking, finance, investment, private equity, analyst community. Read about the receptions and see photos of the venues by clicking here Space is limited for the Sunday reception - only the first 100 registered are able to join us. The Monday and Tuesday reception venues are larger. Join us!
Sponsored by Golder Associates, Intera Inc., McCarthy Tetrault LLP
MONDAY APRIL 30
DAY ONE OF THE CONFERENCE - 7:30 AM TO 5:30 PM
at Shearman & Sterling LLP at 599 Lexington Ave, at corner of 53rd Street
For the agenda showing the speakers click here
7:30 REGISTRATION AND BREAKFAST
Sponsored by Behre Dolbear and Government of Quebec
8:30 WELCOME BY CONFERENCE CHAIR AND HOST
8:35 OPENING REMARKS BY CONFERENCE CHAIRMEN
8:40 I.1 CAPITAL MARKETS REVIEW AND KEY TRENDS IN MINING
9:20 I.2 BANKERS’ VIEW OF CAPITAL MARKETS AND MINE FINANCING
10:00 KEY NOTE: PHILLIPS BAKER, PRESIDENT & CEO, HECLA MINING COMPANY
INNOVATION: REMOVING THE MINER FROM THE END OF THE STEEL
Sponsored by Hecla Mining Company
10:30 REFRESHMENT BREAK
Sponsored by Hatch Advisory
10:50 I.3 MINING M&A AND CONSOLIDATION TRENDS – SHEARMAN ROOM
10:50 I.3A ANALYSTS’ VIEW OF METALS & MINERALS MARKETS: PART I
GLOBAL STEEL, IRON ORE OUTLOOK - CONFERENCE ROOM G/H
11:35 I.4 TRANSFORMATIONAL RESTRUCTURING TRANSACTIONS – SHEARMAN ROOM
11:35 I.4A ANALYSTS’ VIEW OF METALS & MINERALS MARKETS: PART II
BATTERY, ENERGY STORAGE, AND ENERGY METALS - CONFERENCE ROOM G/H
12:20 KEY NOTE SPEAKER LUNCH
12:35 MARIO ALFONSO CANTU SUAREZ, UNDER SECRETARY OF MINING,
MINISTRY OF ECONOMY, MEXICO - Sponsored by Government of Mexico
The Upward Trend of Mexican Mining - Creating Investment Opportunities
1:30 I.5 MINING IN MEXICO - LATEST DEVELOPMENTS AND TRENDS – SHEARMAN ROOM
1:30 I.5A ANALYSTS’ VIEW OF METALS & MINERALS MARKETS: PART III
IMPACT OF CHINA & REST OF WORLD - CONFERENCE ROOM G/H
2:20 I.6 MANAGING CASH FLOW FOR CAPITAL & OPERATING SPENDING – SHEARMAN ROOM
2:20 I.6A ANALYSTS’ VIEW OF METALS & MINERALS MARKETS: PART IV
COAL & ENERGY TRENDS AND OUTLOOK - CONFERENCE ROOM G/H
3:10 REFRESHMENT BREAK - Sponsored by Hatch Advisory
3:30 I.7 WHY SOME MINING PROJECTS SUCCEED AND SOME FAIL – SHEARMAN ROOM
3:30 I.7A ANALYSTS’ VIEW OF METALS & MINERALS MARKETS: PART V
PRECIOUS METALS & COPPER – CONFERENCE ROOM G/H
4:25 I.8 WHAT IS DIFFERENT TODAY FOR MINERS LOOKING TO RAISE CAPITAL?
5:25 CONCLUSION OF DAY ONE OF CONFERENCE PROGRAM
6 - 8 PM RECEPTION Join us for beverages, hors d'oeuvres and plenty of networking. Join all, speakers, delegates and others from the NYC business community at the New York Marriott East Side Hotel at 525 Lexington Ave, at the corner of 49th St. - four blocks from the conference site at Shearman & Sterling. Invite colleagues, clients. Spouses and guests are welcome. You do not have to attend the conference to register to attend the receptions. We ask all to register in advance. You can register more than one person. To learn more and see photos of the venues - click here. We hope you join us!
Sponsored by Hecla Mining Company, SRK Consulting, McCarthy Tetrault LLP
8:00 CONCLUSION OF DAY ONE OF THE CONFERENCE
TUESDAY MAY 1
DAY TWO OF THE CONFERENCE - 7:30 AM TO 5:30 PM
Shearman & Sterling LLP at 599 Lexington Ave., at corner of 53rd St.
Check back as content, order and times are subject to change
Read about the speakers here
7:30 REGISTRATION AND BREAKFAST
Sponsored by Behre Dolbear and Government of Quebec
8:40 II.1 A MINING COMPANY’S PERSPECTIVE ON U.S. TAX REFORM - SHEARMAN ROOM
8:40 II.1A IMPLEMENTATION OF MINERAL RESERVES AND RESOURCE DEFINITIONS AND CLASSIFICATIONS - CONFERENCE ROOM G/H
9:30 II.2 HOW EXPLORATION AND RISK IS FINANCED - SHEARMAN ROOM
9:30 II.2A IMPORTANCE OF DUE DILIGENCE FOR EARLY STAGE MINING PROJECTS -
CONFERENCE ROOM G/H
10:20 REFRESHMENT BREAK - Sponsored by Hatch Advisory
10:40 II.3 WHO PROVIDES ALTERNATIVE SOURCES OF CAPITAL? PART I - SHEARMAN ROOM
10:40 II.3A MINERAL AND MINING PROJECT APPRAISAL AND VALUATION - CONF ROOM G/H
11:30 II.4 WHAT IS AND WHO PROVIDES ALTERNATIVE CAPITAL - PART II – SHEARMAN ROOM
11:30 II.4A MINING COST AND OPERATING ISSUES AND TRENDS - CONFERENCE G/H
12:20 LUNCHEON -
Sponsored by RPA
12:35 CHANGING RULES, REGULATIONS AND LAW - THE IMPACT ON MINING
1:30 II.5 TECHNOLOGY & INNOVATION TODAY: THE FUTURE IS HERE - SHEARMAN ROOM
1:30 II.5A BEST PRACTICE FOR STAKEHOLDER BUY IN: PART I
CONFERENCE ROOM G/H - Sponsored by Llorente & Cuenca
2:30 II.6 SUCCESSFUL USE OF TECHNOLOGY & INNOVATION: PART II – SHEARMAN ROOM
2:30 II.6A BEST PRACTICE: ENVIRONMENTAL & SOCIAL RISK MANAGEMENT: PART II
CONFERENCE ROOM G/H - Sponsored by Llorente & Cuenca
3:25 REFRESHMENT BREAK - Sponsored by Hatch Advisory
3:45 II.7 GOVERNMENT’S SUPPORT OF INVESTMENT IN MINING & THE MINERALS SECTOR
3:45 II.7A OPPORTUNITIES: A WAY FORWARD: REUSE, REMEDIATION - CONF ROOM G/H
4:35 II.8 IN THE AGE OF DISRUPTION - THINGS TO DO TO SURVIVE - SHEARMAN ROOM
5:25 CLOSING REMARKS BY CONFERENCE CHAIR
5:30-8:00 RECEPTION Join us and network with all during a relaxing time together, enjoying delicious hors d'oeuvres and beverages at Shearman & Sterling. Invite colleagues and clients. Spouses and guests are welcome. You do not have to attend the conference to attend the receptions. Please register in advance. You can register more than one person. There are no walk ins. We will have a raffle of three wonderful photos by the photographer Laszlo Bencze . For his photos click here.
Sponsored by Hecla Mining Co., Shearman & Sterling LLP, SRK Consulting
8:00 CONCLUSION OF DAY TWO OF THE CONFERENCE
WEDNESDAY MAY 2
TWO POST CONFERENCE WORKSHOPS
Shearman & Sterling LLP at 599 Lexington Ave, at corner of 53rd St
Breakfast 7:45 AM, Start 8:30 AM, End 11:30 AM, Lunch Ends 1 PM
III. Efficient, effective due diligence for modern mining investments Led by Lachlan Broadfoot, the CEO of Behre Dolbear
IV. Sustainability in mining – Innovation to reduce mining life cycle costs and impacts Led by Dr. Lisa Kirk, Principal Biogeochemist, Enviromin Inc
Read about the workshops here
Lunch Noon to 1 PM - Sponsored by EY and Shearman & Sterling LLP
Shearman & Sterling LLP at 599 Lexington Ave, at corner of 53rd St.
Workshop attendees are welcome to join us for a relaxing, delicious lunch to continue our discussions or unwind, relax and recharge before the official end of the 2018 CTMF Conference at 1 PM.
WEDNESDAY MAY 2 CONFERENCE ENDS at 1 PM
We welcome you to register here to meet with senior representatives from these exploration and mining companies and Government agencies supporting and others involved in investing in minerals resource and mining activities world wide including: Agnico Mines Ltd; Ascendant Resources; Aura Minerals; Australian Trade & Investment Commission; BlackRock Metals; BQ Energy; Coeur Mining Inc.; Commerce Resources Corp.; Controlled Thermal Resources; Dundee Precious Metals Inc.; EIT RawMaterials; Ero Copper Corporation; First Mining Gold Corp; Franco Nevada; Freeport McMoRan; GeoMega Resources; German Mineral Resources Agency (DERA); Glencore; Government of Canada; Government of Mexico; Government of Québec; Grupo Mineros S.A.; Hecla Mining; Investissement Québec; Kintavar Exploration; KronwnCorp Inc.; Lundin Mining; Mexico – Sub Secretary of Mining; Mining Development Bank of Mexico (FIFOMI); Mining and Common Good; Nemaska Lithium; Newmont Mining Corp.; Nouveau Monde Graphite; NovaGold Resources; Osisko Mining; Paringa Resources; Peñoles; Pucara Resources; Government of Quebec; Resource Capital Funds; Ressources Québec; Rincon Lithium; Royal Gold; Sandstorm Gold; Sirios Resources; Societe Du Plan Nord Québec; Sphinx Resources; Sprott Resources; State of Alaska; State of Durango, Mexico; Stornoway Diamonds; Swiss Re; Torex Gold Resources; Westmoreland Coal and others.
We hope you join us! Also attending will be senior officers and executives from the legal, accounting, banking, private equity, valuation experts, engineering, environmental and advisory sectors. Register today to hear speak and meet many leading experts who work with, advise and fund large, medium and smaller mining and exploration companies world wide and are involved with evaluating and funding related equipment and infrastructure providers.
To download a four page flier about the event with a schedule - click here
Phillips Baker, President & CEO of Hecla Mining Co. will be a key note speaker talking about how the mining industry is now on the cusp of changing the relationship of the miner to the rock face forever. Mr. Baker will discuss how Hecla is embracing innovation that will remove the miner from harm’s way and host of other technologies that will make mining safer, improve productivity and lower costs and has said ‘We believe that within a decade the mining industry will look nothing like it does today’.
CTMF combines discussion of technical, non-technical and financial issues and trends impacting raising capital, with the experiences of many leading decision makers in the global mining business.
Register to attend and meet a who's who of industry specialists, technology and operating officers, bankers, analysts, investors, private equity, portfolio managers, engineers and others. See who is speaking - click here
- Learn about new forms and methods of financing exploration, mines and mining.
- Hear about and meet the people advising private equity, making private placements as well as funding projects using traditional means, project finance.
- Also hear about, again from industry leaders and experts, new technology, best practices and other innovations and issues impacting the industry including what some governments are doing to encourage investment in mining and related sectors.
- For example hear Guest Speaker Mr. Mario Cantú, Under Secretary of Mining, Secretary of Economy address: The Upward Trend of Mexican Mining - Creating Investment Opportunities
- There will be many other government and industry leaders attending and participating in more than 25+ panels - in two tracks on both days. We welcome audience participation and Q&A.
- We invite you to read a detailed agenda with the speakers' bios - click here
- Download and share a four page flier highlighting who will be there with a schedule click here
Meet these and other speakers and a senior group of delegates - a who's who of leading experts in the non-technical, technical and financial issues impacting raising capital in the global mining business today.
There are ample opportunities to meet and network at the event, 3 receptions and 4 workshops. Join us and get your questions answered. Last year delegates came from 18 different countries.
Shown below Tony O'Neill, Group Executive, Technical and Sustainability, Anglo American plc - Key Note Speaker talking about FutureSmart Mining TM
Visit the agenda to see the many speakers who will be with us and will discuss:
- Bankers’ View of Capital Markets and Mine Financing - multiple panels, round tables re recent deals, M&A, restructurings, where, how and who is raising capital etc.
- Structuring Finance and Funding of Mining Companies, Projects and Exploration including discussion of alternative capital sources, royalties, streaming, debt, project finance, off takes etc.
- Analysts’ View of Metals and Minerals Markets - multiple panels re global metals, mining, steel, ev energy and battery markets, supply, demand, price trends for base, precious and industrial metals
- Technology, Smart Data, Innovation - multiple panels by leading experts about the industry using automation, AI, machine learning, virtual, simulation, IoT, equipment, etc. to manage cost and risk
- Changes in Rules and Regulations - multiple panels about interpretation, harmonization and managing in a changing regulatory landscape, including the Impact of US Tax Reform
- Engaging Stakeholders For Success - multiple panels about non technical, communal, regulatory rules and best practices and case studies involving societal, economic, technical issues
- Government Policy to Support and Attract Investment in mining and related sectors, including technology - multiple senior officials from several countries will speak about this
- Best Practices re Reserves and Resources - including discussion of recent proposed rules changes and definitions and harmonization including to Industry Guide 7 in the USA, etc
- And hear discussion of other current topics and issues, best practices and case studies
Join all in an inviting environment with time for audience Q&A and one-on-one meetings with attendees, speakers and others from the New York financial, analyst, investor and business community. We encourage all to register early as space is limited.
Shown below Conference delegates attending a panel discussion about Engaging Stakeholders for Long Term Project Success
New York SME thanks all sponsors and welcomes you to join them. Contact Tim Alch conference co chair firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions. All help make it possible to meet in New York.
DAILY SUMMARY OF CTMF 2018 SCHEDULE OF EVENTS AND AGENDA
As of 20 March 2018 - Check back for updates - See the speakers here
For more details continue to scroll down past the photo from last year's CTMF event.
- Sunday April 29: Two Pre-Conference Workshops Noon - 4:30 PM at New York Marriott East Side Hotel and Reception 5:00 - 7:00 PM at New York Marriott East Side Hotel
- Monday April 30: Conference - Day One 7:30 AM - 5:30 PM at Shearman & Sterling LLP and Reception 6:00 - 8:00 PM at New York Marriott East Side Hotel
- Tuesday May 1: Conference - Day Two 7:30 AM - 5:30 PM at Shearman & Sterling LLP and Reception 5:30 PM - 7:30 PM at Shearman & Sterling LLP
- Wednesday May 2: Two Post-Conference Workshops 8 AM - 1 PM at Shearman & Sterling LLP
For hotel suggestions click here
We hope to see you at
SME's 6th annual Current Trends in Mining Finance Conference: Investing in Technology and Innovation & Managing Disruption and Risk in the New Normal
Connecting Mining, Finance and Engineering Executives TM
Sunday April 29 - Wednesday May 2
* Space is becoming limited. The organizers are monitoring registrations periodically and may need to close registration. We may require some registered delegates to be present in a second board conference room that will have live video and audio feed to the main conference or conference room G/H and or attend in a third board room to watch and hear via live audio/video feed. Additional rooms and space adjacent to the main conference room are places to relax, network, meet one on one, for quiet phone conversations, or work.