Montana SME Section

View Only
  • 1.  Reviving the Montana SME Local Section

Posted 03-29-2017 07:52 PM
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

The Montana SME Local Section has been inactive for quite some time.  Some hard-working people are needed to volunteer their services and revive it.  To do this, I believe we need four officers: President, Vice President, Secretary and Treasurer.  I am unable to be an officer but I am more than happy to help initiate this important effort.  I am calling for a meeting of the members to get interested parties together to discuss this and then to nominate people to serve.  If only four people are identified, we may cast a unanimous ballot to formally approve.  If more than one person is volunteering their services, we may ask the candidates to leave the room so that a voice and/or hand ballot can be cast to formally approve.  We will decide the process as needed.

Currently, I am aiming for the meeting to occur Saturday, April 29, at 5:00-6:00pm in the Big Butte Highlands Room in the SUB.  To entice people to come, I have also arranged the following schedule, all that same day:

8-5pm - Flotation Short Course (MT Tech SUB Kelly-Stewart Room)
    Guest Presenters: Derek Lelinski (Collectors and Machines, FLSmidth, SLC, UT) and Charles Andress (Frothers and Industrial Practice, Nalco, Houston, TX)

5-6pm - Discussion of Local Section and Ballot for Officers (MT Tech SUB Big Butte-Highlands Room)

6-9pm - SME Local Section Dinner with a no host bar and Talk (MT Tech SUB Copper Lounge Room)
    Reception (6-7pm), Dinner (7-8pm) and Presentation (8-9pm) by FLSmidth Engineers

Details will come later.  Here is what I need to know:
         1. Are you interested in being an officer?
         2. Are you interested in the Short Course?
         3. Are you interested in the Dinner and Talk?
    There will be charges for the Short Course as well as Dinner and Talk but it will be minimal to cover the costs for the Short Course as well as Dinner and Talk.  However, it will depend on attendance.  There will also be an incentive to attend both and will include a door prize at the Dinner and Talk.  However, details are not available for a few days and attendance will be capped due to the room sizes although the rooms are subject to change.  Let me know of your interest.  Please respond to this discussion but emails to me are also welcome.  THANKS!

------------------------------
    Courtney Young, PhD, QP
    Lewis S. Prater Distinguished Professor and Department Head
    Metallurgical & Materials Engineering, Montana Tech
    Butte MT United States
    cyoung@mtech.edu
    (406) 496-4158

• 2.  RE: Reviving the Montana SME Local Section

Posted 03-30-2017 10:07 PM
    Great plan, Courtney! It's been a long time since the good old days when all the mines were running around the state. Used to be quite the social event when Anaconda was still king.

I'm definitely behind you, but plate's pretty full right now. Keep in touch!

Larry Hoffman
    Chief Engineer
    Blue Range Engineering Co Inc
    Butte MT United States
    (406) 491-4660