Georgia SME Section

View Only

Georgia Section Meeting - Krumb Lecture - 17 March 2016

• 1.  Georgia Section Meeting - Krumb Lecture - 17 March 2016

Posted 02-18-2016 12:20 PM
      |   view attached

Dear Mining Industry Professionals,

Please make plans to attend the SME Georgia Section meeting scheduled for Thursday, March 17, 2016 at 6:00 PM in Milledgeville at Georgia College & State University.  Our guest speaker is Mr. Michael A. Knight, P.G., Vice-President and Chief Geologist with Calgary-based Gannett Fleming.  Mr. Knight is an SME Henry Krumb Lecturer.  His topic is “Some Perspectives of Mine Pit Re-Purposing” (Please see the abstract below and the attached meeting notice)

Dr. Sal Romero of Golder Associates will also give an environmental update.  If you have questions that you would like to see addressed please let me know.

Sponsor for this meeting is Kemira Chemicals – (Contact Wayne Bentley  - wayne.bentley@kemira.com).  The reception begins at 6:00 PM.

We will wrap up the evening with a prize drawing with St. Patrick’s Day-themed prizes – so please bring the luck of the Irish with you.

“Some Perspectives of Mine Pit Re-Purposing”

Abstract: Numerous open pit mine re-purposing projects are underway or under consideration in metropolitan areas of the United States. Because these projects contemplate future integration of active mine sites into existing water or waste water infrastructure systems, many involve either public/private or private/private partnerships where agreements, long term commitments and open dialogue guide and influence orderly transition from original to secondary pit use. Public perception and social contract benefits are often realized by the participants in these visionary conversion processes but the best outcomes are achieved when the miner, infrastructure engineer, regulator and end-user work toward common goals. At first glance it might be easy to envision immediate common ground between miners and second generation users. Each party desires the same things: maximum resource extraction; safe operating conditions and efficient reliable infrastructure systems. The reality is that even with such apparent commonality, the details of re-purposing transition from miner to end-user are myriad and the details deserve discussion and deliberate planning.

About the Speaker: Mr. Knight is a second generation Geologist in a family that includes 4 Geologists. He received his education at Lake Superior State University and Old Dominion University, where he studied the diverse geologic settings of the Michigan Basin; the Canadian Shield; and the Atlantic Coastal Plain. He is a registered Professional Geologist in Pennsylvania, Kentucky, Tennessee and Wyoming and is a Past-President of the Pennsylvania Council of Professional Geologists and the Harrisburg Area Geological Society.

Professionally, Mr. Knight is a Vice President of Gannett Fleming, Inc. and its Canadian subsidiary, Gannett Fleming Canada ULC where he has been engaged since 1986 in geologic aspects of public and private infrastructure and natural resources projects.

See You There!

Tom Hilderbrand

Georgia Section Chair

------------------------------
    Thomas Hilderbrand
    Manager Process Engineering
    Thiele Kaolin Co
    Sandersville GA United States
    (478) 552-3951 EXT 1237
    ------------------------------

Attachment(s)