SME Colorado Section Monthly Meeting March 2017

When:  Mar 16, 2017 from 11:30 AM to 01:30 PM (MT)
Associated with  Colorado SME Section

SME Colorado Section March 2017 Monthly Meeting

Thursday, March 16, 2017

Lunch at Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery

1001 16th St #100
Denver, CO 80265

Networking at 11:30 am
Lunch at 12:00 pm
Speaker at 12:30 pm

Speaker: Walter Weinig, Principal Consultant and Senior Project Manager for Laramide Sciences, will be presenting on "Life After Mining: Deep Underground Research at the Former Homestake Gold Mine". 

After a storied 125-year history, gold mining ceased at the Homestake Mine in 2001. Located in Lead, South Dakota, Homestake was the deepest underground mine in North America with 370 miles of workings reaching 8100 feet below ground surface. When the mine closed, the depth and rock quality offered a unique opportunity to conduct deep underground research in physics, biology, engineering, and geology. Today the former Homestake Mine has become the Sanford Underground Research Facility, hosting a world-class research program including the search for dark matter and determining the characteristics of neutrinos. The former Laboratory Director at the Sanford Lab, Walter, will talk about how the mine infrastructure has been adapted to support a unique suite of research projects with broad international participation.

Cost is $35 per person with online registration (credit card payments online will be assessed a small processing fee in addition to the cost). Students are welcome at a cost of $15 per person with online registration.

If you prefer to pay by check or cash, you must still register online and select the option to generate an invoice. This will reserve your place at the meeting, with payment due upon arrival at the event.

Registrations will be accepted through Tuesday, March 14th.

The Rock Bottom Brewery
1001 16th St. #100
Denver, CO 80265

Contact

Brian Shaffer

bshaffer@usgs.gov