Discussion: View Thread

• 1.  Gold prospecting equipment collection - in memory of George Baker

Posted 11-07-2017 07:54 PM
    Dear SME Colorado Section members,
    I need your help in assisting a grieving family trying to close up the affairs of their brother who was a professional geologist here in Aurora, Colorado. George Baker passed away last Saturday and did not say who should get his personal collection of gold prospecting equipment which includes sluices, a trommel and much more. The family said this set up is perfect for a small one-person operation which was one of George's hobbies. Are you interested in this equipment and can you pick it up today 11/8 or tomorrow 11/9 from Aurora? 

I have the contact details for his family and the address where it needs to be picked up from. As you can imagine, the family wishes to return to their home in Ohio this Friday, so your help finding a new owner for this equipment is most appreciated and incredibly time-sensitive. They have a truck coming Wednesday to remove the unwanted items and would much rather see someone who wants to use this equipment get it. Anyone who knows what they're looking at could guess an approximate value however his sister Maybelle told me that she would be willing to give it away. 

If we can help this family I know they will be forever grateful. Please contact me via email at gravning@smenet.org and I will share the contact information. 

Thank you, 

------------------------------
    Heather Gravning
    Digital Strategy Manager
    SME Inc
    Englewood CO United States
    (303) 948-4203
    gravning@smenet.org

• 2.  RE: Gold prospecting equipment collection - in memory of George Baker

Posted 11-08-2017 09:43 AM
    Hi Heather, 

I am a student at Colorado School of Mines.  I have been interested in acquiring more gold prospecting equipment in order to take other students in the field to teach them how to pan and sluice.  I am able to pick up the equipment tomorrow but I am not financially in a position to pay for it.  I understand that they would most likely rather receive money, however, if no one else is willing to pick it up and if they're willing to give it away I would be more than happy to get the prospecting equipment tomorrow.  

My condolences, 
    Nicole Arnush

Nicole Arnush
    Colorado School of Mines
    Arvada CO United States
    (818)207-5951

• 3.  RE: Gold prospecting equipment collection - in memory of George Baker

Posted 11-08-2017 05:32 PM
    I am a mining equipment and artifacts appraiser.

With such a quick response, I would recommend that you consider the Colorado Mining Museum, Leadville, Co. as a donation.

There is also the Mining Museum on I-25 near Monument.

Good luck with this.

Alan C. Iannacito

Alan Iannacito
    President
    ACI Associates, LLC
    Littleton CO United States
    720-318-6282

• 4.  RE: Gold prospecting equipment collection - in memory of George Baker

Posted 11-08-2017 10:07 AM
    Good morning everyone,

Thank you for the responses to my request! Several people have offered to pick up the items and I have a waiting list of names in case anything else comes up.   

If anyone else has prospecting equipment they are willing to give away, please contact CSM student Nicole Arnush. 

Sincerely,

Heather Gravning
    Digital Strategy Manager
    SME Inc
    Englewood CO United States
    (303) 948-4203
    gravning@smenet.org